Thursday, July 9, 2015

Apple Wasted Its Time Making Over iOS 7

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I'm not a tech nerd and I didn't consult with TheStreet's Tech Editor Chris Ciaccia before penning this article, therefore I reserve the right to be 150% wrong or misguided on this first part.

With all the talk about how Apple (AAPL) should proceed with updates to its enormously successful product pipeline, few people have expressed this sentiment: iPhone Does Not Need to Be Revolutionary.

There's this media-hyped misnomer that the competition ploughs ahead so hard and fast that Apple needs to keep up. Bull. Apple revolutionized a handful of industries over the last several years; at this point, it merely needs to keep up with itself and its happy customers.

Save the revolution for your bed and an entirely different category such as the living room. For iPhone and iPad in particular, I don't want to see much change. I want to see the products improve from practical standpoints. For example (and this is where the first paragraph qualifier comes in), why can't my iPhone figure out whether it should use a cellular or WiFi connection? I'm tired of the prompts, getting put onto networks that don't work and the general uncertainty. Apple knows where I am. It tracks my behavior. It knows everything that happens on my phone as it happens. Why can't it be smarter? Or give me the option to make it smarter by seamlessly switching between cellular and WiFi, particularly when I am in familiar places such as my neighborhood. That's the type of thing Apple needs to address. (Or make Calendar better, because it's still horrible). While I generally like iOS 7, I can't help but think it's change for the sake of change. The navigation is improved. So has Siri. And iTunes Radio is here. But iOS hardly required a mediocre cosmetic makeover. On one hand, I commend Tim Cook for what he said in Thursday morning's BloombergBusinessweek article: There never was a cheap iPhone! It's great that he reads my stuff. Obviously. It's uncanny! But, it's even better, on a more serious note, that the media regurgitates what Cook says after the fact as opposed to being honest and thoughtfully analytical with you in the first place. Cook is also spot on about the split in the smartphone market and the general tendency for consumer electronics to cluster at the low end and higher end. He's correct to not worry about the low end, serving only the people who want -- and are willing to pay for -- the best experience possible. That's the Apple way. And it's great to finally hear Cook expressing it in a manner that does Steve Jobs's legacy justice. Cook is saying This is who we are. It works. And who the hell are you or anybody else to suggest we change? I just wish he would allow that attitude to permeate through all of Apple the way Jobs used to. That means ignoring people like David Einhorn and Carl Icahn. It also means not changing anything (too drastically) -- software or hardware -- that works so well and has millions of people obsessively hooked. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.

No comments:

Post a Comment